Saturday, February 16, 2019

Packing and Traveling to the start

Getting Blaze ready to Ship to San Diego. I used a VeloVault2 bike case.

There's still snow in Dexter


 Friday Feb 15th the Fed Ex lady came to the house and picked up Blaze in the case.

Now is time to start organize my duffels for the trip.
Lynn and I will be flying to San Diego on Wednesday the 27th. Lynn will stay until March 2 when the ride starts and then return to Dexter and the dogs and the cat.

Friday February 22, 2019:
Seriously putting my clothes and gear together. Then cull things down to the basic essentials. I'm familiar with packing for wilderness camping, but those trips are for a week to two weeks tops, not for two months.

Tuesday February 26, 2019:
I've packed my Kit into two rolling duffles which once in San Diego I will move to 3 carry duffles
Lynn and I leave for San Diego tomorrow morning
As I write this it is 15 degrees in Dexter with a prediction of 1-3 inches of snow in the next 24 hours; it's 52 in San Diego.


Wednesday Feb 27,2019
Got up at 5 am EDT to find it was 17 degrees and snowing.  Lynn and I hit the road ~6 am for DTW.
The drive was terrible; could barely do 40 mph and often could not see the lanes on the freeway, but we did make to DTW and got to the gate with time to spare.
~5 hour flight to San Diego, the plane did have live CNN so we got to watch much of Michael Cohen congressional testimony.
Arriving in SD it was ~65 degrees and sunny (we'll not in Michigan anymore).
Made it to the motel (Ocean Villa Inn in the Ocean Beach area).
Some of Bubba's staff (Taco and Robbie) helped get our bags to the room and we started to unpack and organizing.
One of Bubba's staff (Coach) gave us a ride to Bernie's Bike Shop; this has to be the funkest bike shop I've ever been too.


We then walked the bike back to the motel along the beach area; which is still stuck in time of the 60's.
We  later walked back to the Ocean Beach "restaurant district" and had dinner at a burger joint (https://hodadies.com/).  The smells of the beach area reminded me of the smells of the hallway of my freshman dorm at U Iowa :-)

We are dead tired due to the 3 hour time shift and having gotten up at 5; so we just went to bed and hope to sleep into SD time.

Thursday Feb 28, 2019
We seemed to have adjusted to SD time. We found a nice breakfast place a few blocks from the motel. In the afternoon I took a 22.7 mile shake down ride on Blaze and it seem to go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment