Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Packing and Traveling to the start

Tuesday March 3, 2020

Packing and Traveling to the start


Sunday March 1st. I packed Blaze into the VelvoVault


Since Delta now allows bikes case to be standard checked baggage that is how I will be shipping Blaze to SD. Lynn will then bring the case back to Michigan and then bring it to St Augustine at the end of the ride.
Sunday turn out to be a fairly nice day and I was able to go for a ride, but Blaze was packed so I took my gravel bike Blood for the ride. There was still ice on Cavanaugh Lake.


Tuesday March 3rd
Finished putting my gear together; three duffel bags and my computer bag.

Tomorrow we leave for the airport, the weather looks much better than last year. Last year driving to the airport it was 17 degrees and snowing.

March 4th
Day -2

The drive to the airport was uneventful. Weather was in the 30's and traffic was so so.
No problem checking the bike case at DTW. 

Once at SD after a ~4+ hours the bike case made it to the over sized baggage claim.

We rented a "standard" size SUV and put the bike case and all of our bags in it and may our way to the Ocean Beach motel.

 Once there we ran into many of the other Coasters esp several from last year.
I spent about an hour reassembling Blaze. Then Lynn and I walked to "downtown" Ocean Beach and made our way to Bernie's bike shop so I could buy some CO2 cartridges. The beach area is still a throw back to the 60's. Upon our return to the motel we both crashed.  Tomorrow I'll take a shake down ride.

Dog Beach:




Strava Link:
https://www.strava.com/athletes/8037862

Day -1 March 5th
Took a 23 mile shake down ride on Blaze with a hill that was 13 %+ grade.☹️
Strava:
https://www.strava.com/activities/3157821839

Lynn and I went to the Whiskey House for dinner
https://thewhiskeyhousesd.com/
This place has well over 1000 different whiskeys

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck on the ride this year!!!
    Lets NOT have a repeat of last year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you arrived safely and are all set for your ride. Happy trails...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Rick!! Best wishes for a safe travel. I will be with you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete